So, I faithfully fed my starter for about three days. It got frothy really quick, so I capped it and put it in the fridge. Then, late last night, I made “the sponge”. I swear that sounds like a B-grade monster movie. “Night of the Living Sponge!” Just when you thought it was SAFE to go back into the kitchen… Dun dun dun duuuunnnnnnnnnnn!
Anyway, then I made the sponge. To do that, I just simply added another cup of flour and a cup of warm water, like I did before, when I was making the start. Then I let it sit out overnight.
When I got up this morning, it had grown up and almost overflowed the little Tupperware-like bowl it was in. That was the beginning of my recipe.
Here’s the recipe I’m using:
- 2 Cups of sponge (proofed starter)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or softened margarine
- 4 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- approximately 3 Cups of unbleached flour, a half cup at a time
Add the ingredients of list in any order, up to the flour. The amounts are approximate. Add the flour last, a bit at a time, as shown. Make it smooth and light, not stiff, or, I’m told it takes longer to rise.
Now, last time I did this, the first rise took almost six hours. I’m hoping to shorten this by warming up the kitchen a little. Hopefully, I’ll be able to punch it all down right before church, and it’ll proof and be close to ready when I get back.
Hope this all works!